Wednesday, February 19, 2014

i'm going to wait until the morning comes

Here's a new drawing. Brand new. I'm really happy with it. It's one of those drawings that reminds me of why I draw. If that makes any sense?

It's an example of one of the processes I use when coming up with a piece of work; sometimes a drawing will just pop into my head. Fully formed. I have no idea where it came from, or why it came, but suddenly it's just there. Then it waits around for me to put it onto paper. I sometimes try to ignore it, but when it's there it's there. It doesn't go away.

So there he was. This French guy sat in his kitchen, feeling a little fragile, after a night of partying. Fag in mouth, coffee in hand. It took me 2-3 years to get around to putting him on , but a couple of days ago I picked up my sketchbook and within 2-3 minutes he was born. A few hours of cross hatching followed.

I based the character on a guy I met a few years back in France. He wobbled up to this sophisticated artist's award ceremony/party, on his push bike, in a flat cap and old coat, fag in mouth looking a little wasted and yet sickeningly stylishly European. He then made his way around the place, taking advantage of the free booze. I immediately thought "that's the guy I want to party with".

And we did. And it was a great night.

There's this Ray Davies quote I heard when watching a documentary on The Kinks, that has always stuck in my head. Well, if it wasn't a Ray Davies quote it was by his brother, Dave (?). It goes "It's not how something is reported, it's how it's remembered. That's what they call poetry".

I love that quote. It's also why I love this drawing.

7 comments:

Derek Shields said...

Probably Ray, Andrea, Dave was always an arse. Ray was a mate of mine many years ago and the last time I met him was with Noddy in Poynton before I came to Spain. Jim Lavin's pub I think it was.

Derek Shields said...

Probably Ray, Andrea, Dave was always an arse. Ray was a mate of mine many years ago and the last time I met him was with Noddy in Poynton before I came to Spain. Jim Lavin's pub I think it was.

InnaC said...

Love it!
Especially the notes on the wall.

dinahmow said...

I love this one!It speaks volumes.

eSeN said...

This is great! I'm so glad you let him out of your head :)

Unknown said...

I just stumbled onto your work today, I love it! Can't wait to order your book too, such an inspiration! What type of moleskin journal do you usually draw in? Thank you so much for sharing your work with us!

Esther Lankhaar said...

I love your guy Andrea. Seems to be a great one to hang out and party with indeed. Wonderful drawing as always.