Friday, March 25, 2011

wish i knew you well

I was going to say that this is the finished version of the drawing I posted part of a little while back. But now looking at it on the screen I think it could do with more shading; a little sepia to give it an antique feel. That's how I had seen it in my head before I began. Also, I always intended adding a handle because it is supposed to be a drawer full of souvenirs. Or, the handle could have made it look like a suitcase. And, I love that ambiguity.

I'm often asked how long my drawings take. Well, at a guess, this one took a mere fifty hours. To appreciate the obsessive attention to detail click on the drawing and stick your conk in. Please do; FIFTY chuffing hours.

Oh dear, it seems that some of you have having trouble enlarging this image. I'll try to fix it, until then you can see the bigger version HERE.

17 comments:

MrCachet said...

I wish I could but there seems to be an issue when I attempt to enlarge. I get a cursor instead of a finger!

Nicky Stevenson said...

I wanted to too but its not working for me either. :(

Timaree said...

It looks great but I think the handle and shading will add to it. Another 10 hours or so?

Helenlp said...

Wonderful, as always!

kathy said...

It's fantastic Andrea!! Can't wait for the book, but no pressure here.
Love your attention to detail!

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks for letting me know, folks. I'll try to fix it.

Cheers for the lovely comments too.

Caroline B said...

50 hours very well spent!

Hannah Gregus said...

Gorgeous! Would love a print.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing this drawing with a touch of sepia. I'm in awe of how you are able to put such intricate detail in your art work. - Julie

Zarko said...

Nice drawing !

Anonymous said...

Love your detail. And as a beginner artist too...I can see where 50 hours will be used. Great job!

John H said...

Hiya, how do you you view the drawing? I tried to click on it to enlarge but isn't working.

Isabela said...

looks great!
http://theredberry.blogspot.com/

Stephen Gardner said...

You continue to amaze.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks, folks.

Nope, I can't seem to fix it, however, I have put a link on the bottom of the post where you can view it large.

Yeah, I'm sure I could spend another ten hours on this but for now I'll put a little distance between us. We've spent way too much time together recently!

Thank you, all.

Stephen, coming from an artist like yourself, that really makes me very happy.

Anonymous said...

Agree about the sepia. I think an antique look would be wonderful. It is heartening to know that you spend so long on your drawings. It's a welcome change from the need for speed - more sketches, faster.

saleign said...

oh my... suddenly the click does not work!
50 hrs! is that possible(!)