Friday, December 17, 2010

i've been whistling down the street

It wasn't until the day I was leaving Clermont Ferrand that I realised that I hadn't bought any souvenirs of the trip. We'd been so busy at the exhibition that I'd forgotten - which is ironic as I was there to exhibit my travel sketchbook that was themed 'souvenirs of my travels'. So on our final day we had an hour before we had to be the airport to find some souvenirs.

Luckily my stadar (a kind of radar, or gaydar, that detects stationery outlets in the vicinity), which had been going off for the whole trip, pointed me in the direction of a great big stationers close to our hotel. Now, for me, stationery plus souvenirs ticks so many boxes I couldn't have been happier.

So, here are my souvenirs of Clermont Ferrand; a half blue and half red pencil, two stencil maps of France and a ruler. Mission accomplished.

I'm not so happy with the blue and red drawing, above. No doubt I'll mess around with that some more in the future.

Of course, there are also all of the sugar packets, napkins, tram tickets, receipts, bills and business cards I also collected during the trip, but hey that's another drawing. Or six.


These drawing are a part of my aforementioned souvenir themed sketchbook. You can see the rest of the series HERE.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled upon this site through another blogger's blog roll. I added this to my follow list and look forward to reading a LOT more of your posts, esp. the older ones.

winna said...

I TRIED TO BUY YOUR ZINE AND pAYpAL ORDER SAID IT WAS UNAVAILABLE---IS IT???? WINNA

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks, folks.

Winna, it is most definitely available. Hmmmm. I'm quite concerned now. I'm not sure what to suggest. I'll have to look into it...

Anonymous said...

Love the blue & red - it's better than any tchotchke or postcard you could have picked up!

Dylana Suarez said...

So cute!


Lovely blog!

xoxo,

colormenana.blogspot.com

Suma CM said...

Lovely drawing -- and I laughed out loud at your description of "stadar" -- I know the feeling, I seem to find those stationery/pen shops particularly magnetic to my personality.

Joel C Anatoli said...

Beautiful, just beautiful. I really like your blog

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks, folks.

Angelaica, I love that word 'tchotchke'!

Suma, I felt that there would be a lot of people with very sensitive stadars. I knew I wasn't alone.

Cheers, everybody.

wagonized said...

Oooh Andrea I haven't visited your little home of a blog in so long. How moving it is to see a map of my homeland -- my little "département" drawn by your hand, how cool.
I wished -- how I wished -- i could have hung out with you in Clermont Ferrand.